Slip & Fall accidents are so common, mostly due to property negligence. For any premises liability case, if a property owner caused, was aware of, or should have been aware of a dangerous concern, they are required to appropriately warn the public and remedy the situation. Oftentimes, Property owners are reluctant to provide an injured visitor with the compensation he or she deserves, and do not fairly deal with patrons that have been injured due to a hazardous condition on the property.
Here some interesting statistics you probably did not know about these common cases:
- Falls account for over 8 million hospital emergency room visits, representing the leading cause of visits (21.3%). Slips and falls account for over 1 million visits, or 12% of total falls.
- Fractures are the most serious consequences of falls and occur in 5% of all people who fall.
- Slips and falls are the leading cause of workers’ compensation claims and are the leading cause of occupational injury for people aged 55 years and older.
- Half of all accidental deaths in the home are caused by a fall. Most fall injuries in the home happen at ground level, not from an elevation.
- Each year in the United States, one of every three persons over the age of 65 will experience a fall. Half of which are repeat fallers.
- Of all deaths associated with falls, 60% involve people aged 75 years or older.
- Falls account for 87% of all fractures among people over the age of 65 and are the second leading cause of spinal cord and brain injury.
- 85% of worker’s compensation claims are attributed to employees slipping on slick floors.
- Compensation & medical costs associated with employee slip/fall accidents is approximately $70 billion annually.
- Falls occur in virtually all manufacturing and service sectors. Fatal falls however are in construction, mining and certain maintenance activities.
- Falls from elevation (approximately 40% of compensable fall cases, approximately 10% of occupational fatalities).
- Falls on the same level (approximately 60% of compensable fall cases).
Remember to contact Parvey & Frankel if you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident. We’re here for to get you the compensation you deserve.
Contribute a better translation